I’ve noticed that Ideas around improvements to the apex language don’t seem to get the same up-vote exposure as some of the admin-based improvements.
Thinking this might be a good place to aggregate all the ideas that we should be all voting on (for the sake of modernizing development on the platform).
Here are some of my top:
Support Field-sets in SOQL SELECT clause (disclaimer, I submitted this one)
What other ideas should we all be voting for?
Good Dev Ideas Community Wiki (no judgement, a-z, if you think it’s worthwhile just add it, don’t remove ideas added by others).
Vote for everything you agree with to build visibility. If you have opinions on them or disagree with them, comment/downvote on the idea exchange.
- Ability to update Metadata from Apex (Apex Metadata API)
- Add “Switch” or “Case” Statement to Apex
- Add Apex API for Custom Labels
- Allow debug log filtering for test methods
- Allow Record Name to be formula field while allowing autonumber
- Allow SOQL GROUP BY on formula fields
- Apex Code: Implement Iterable on Set.
- Apex Enum parse from string
- Apex String.format() should take Object instead of String for arguments
- atExit” support for Apex Code
- Create an exception class that throws warnings for governor limits
- Expand Apex System Assertion methods to handle nulls and type checking.
- Get RecordTypeInfos by API name method
- Insufficient Privileges – Tell me why
- JSON Serialization Annotations
- Lambda Expressions
- Make Database.upsert Throw Errors at Run-Time Instead of Compile-Time
- Null Coalesce Operator
- Private class variables should not be included by Json.Serialize
- Proper Class Reflection
- Proper Namespacing
- Provide an additional addError method on SObject that accepts a field name
- Remember static variables set during testSetup annotated methods
- SANDBOX – REFRESH ABILITY BETWEEN SANDBOXES
- SObject model extension classes
- Support Field-sets in SOQL SELECT clause